Re: /etc/localtime

On 01:30 19 Nov 2003, Rune Berge <rune@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Michael Schwendt wrote:
| > It's the _new_ one, hence it's name. With config files (when marked as
| > such in the package) RPM tries to be smart about not overwriting your
| > configuration settings upon package upgrades. So, it did not change the
| > /etc/localtime customization, but warns about that.
|
| But if it is included in the upgrade, shouldn't it be used? I assume it is
| in for a reason...

Generally, if the existing file _exactly_ matches the one installed
earlier (i.e. hasn't been hand-edited) then the upgrade replaces it. But
a changed file could have arbitrary user-applied changes, and no upgrade
can know how to apply a change to such a file without breaking the user's
special changes. And so it makes a .rpmnew file that contains what it
would have installed. And tells you.  The you apply the changes yourself
(possibly by just copying the new one over the old one if your changes
don't matter).

Does that clarify things?
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I thought about being born again, but my mother refused.