stupid question, services on by default?

I just installed RH9 on a new box, and as far as I can tell, I completely
opened up ports 22, 25, 80, and 110 on the Linksys router--tried it both DMZ
(open the entire machine on it's static private address wide open) and
running port forwarding for each port to the right private address. SSH,
pop, xinet, smtp etc. are all showing as up on the machine, and I can
connect *out* on each port/service fine. No matter what I do, though, Nmap
scan, connecting, nothing can get through.

Just to make sure I'm not screwing anything up, on a new install is there
any native firewall preinstalled that could be blocking me out?
Regards, Joe