Re: it's so disappointing

On Friday 07 November 2003 06:21 pm, Jack Bowling wrote:

> The RH head honcho is no dummy and knew perfectly well how his
> comments would be interpreted. I see this as a move to lay waste to
> the desktop market of *other* linux vendors since RH as a supporting
> entity has abandoned that market segment.

I believe you're right.  and I believe other vendors will do the same.

But it still could be a good market for a small group.  Perhaps a group
basing their distribution on Fedora, perhaps on Debian.

But the key will not be anything we discuss here or on other "techie" or
"geek" lists.  The key will be getting the distribution.  And that's
the hard part.

What about (as just one example) small to medium size hosting companies?

Fifty servers, at $60/server/year for something akin to RHN?
$3000/year.

This business will NOT go to even a $200 distribution.  Certainly
someone wants this kind of business.

(Note, this is NOT a solicitation to buy a product <smile>.)

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation