Re: it's so disappointing

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 21:54, Dave Ihnat wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 06:32:32PM -0600, Ed Wilts wrote:
> > It's missing a few server packages but not that many that most people will
> > notice.
>
> How about those of us who WILL miss them--can we DL the RPMs for the missing
> packages?  (I haven't seen anyone answer this.)  If not, then we'll have to
> go DL and build the software...kinda weakens the allure of RPMs.
> --

I am sure that freshrpms or some such site will have them.  You can
always DL the enterprise SRPMS from redhat and build them yourself

rpmbuild --rebuild bind*.src.rpm is really not that big a deal.

As the fedora.redhat.com site says, it is still opensource and RH does
provide the SRPMS for DL even though they could make the source much
more difficult to get and still be in compliance with the GNU lic.
IIUC.  I have a hard time figuring out what everyone is so bent out of
shape about for the cheap/poor folks ( I am both right now ) there is
still great software out there to be had very cheaply and often times
with no $.

Change comes hard and Red Hat is in a difficult position.  I think they
have found a decent balance between the folks who always pissed an
moaned about redhat using ancient versions of stuff, the big corps that
need a stable platform that does not change too often, and the SOHO user
who does not need enterprise strength support but wants to be able to
afford a samba server or two.

I also do not understand the thought process that leads people to switch
to Suse. Seems like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

Bret