Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

At 08:36 11/4/2003, you wrote:
On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 06:30, Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> Office solutions should be replaced with products that are not locked in
> to proprietary document formats and/or are more feature-rich than MS
> Office.  I recommend OpenOffice.org for most users, WordPerfect for
> people who honestly feel like they have to spend money.

Whoops!  Yes, I'm perfectly aware that WP is subject to a proprietary
document format.  However, it can save documents as RTF, which is
acceptable.  Yes, I also know that Word can do the same thing, but I've
also found that the range of features in WordPerfect is much broader
than in Word.

StarOffice 6.0 was very good for me, and its native data formats are all compressed XML... totally open. It also did everything I wanted it to do, had 99% excellent compatibility reading/writing MSO 2000 formats, and did not crash _once_ in my time of use. I have already ordered my copy of SO7 and am anxiously awaiting it.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx