Re: firewall configuration - some ports work, others don't

At 17:58 11/5/2003, you wrote:
For the life of me, though, I can't seem to figure out how to get certain
ports to answer from outside this machine (in this particular case, SMTP
and NFS services).  Other TCP & UDP services seem to be fine.

I can't speak for NFS (<shudder>), but Sendmail is configured by default NOT to allow network connections in order to avoid the danger of creating open relays which would then be abused by spammers. You can change it pretty easily.

I recommend a short document I wrote on this subject (this kind of question being why I wrote it). I've used its exact contents for a couple of years and can guarantee that it works fine:

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/sendmail-smtp-auth-howto.html

I've gone into Lokkit and told it to set no firewall.  I found that ipchains
was running, so I turned that off and rebooted (iptables is still in effect,
but that's supposed to not have any particular blocking rules in effect,
unless I missed something).

"iptables -Lnv" will tell you what is configured (-L), without doing a DNS lookup on any IP addresses (-n), and in a verbose fashion (-v). You should get essentially no rules with all policies being ACCEPT. At that point you can be sure that iptables is not blocking anything.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx