firewall configuration - some ports work, others don't

I just recently installed RH 9 on a system here, and have been having
all kinds of fun trying to figure out how to drop the firewall entirely
(at least for a short while).  My systems are behind another firewall
right now, so I don't really want/need to have Linux do any additional
firewalling.

For the life of me, though, I can't seem to figure out how to get certain
ports to answer from outside this machine (in this particular case, SMTP
and NFS services). Other TCP & UDP services seem to be fine.

I've gone into Lokkit and told it to set no firewall. I found that ipchains
was running, so I turned that off and rebooted (iptables is still in effect,
but that's supposed to not have any particular blocking rules in effect,
unless I missed something).

Neither of the aforementioned services is an xinetd service, though I
peeked at the files in /etc/xinetd.d anyway just to be safe...

What ELSE am I missing?  Again, some TCP and UDP ports work for machines
coming in to this machine from "outside" (i.e. elsewhere on my own LAN),
but others do not.