Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 03:24, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Do *you* disagree?

I think Windows can be an acceptable solution for the home user, as long
as the following conditions are met:

The mail client should NOT be Outlook or Outlook Express.  While both of
these clients are perfectly capable of sending and receiving e-mail and
have an adequate range of features, their susceptibility to worms and
viruses makes them unacceptable for home users.  I recommend that, if
you're going to build a Windows computer for someone, build it with
Eudora, Pegasus, or (my personal favorite) Mozilla Thunderbird.

The web browser should also be replaced with something that is
standards-compliant and renders pages with style sheets properly and is
not vulnerable to hacks, worms, viruses, and other hijinks.  Internet
Explorer is a poor web browser compared to some of the other solutions
out there.  My favorite is Firebird, but I also recommend Mozilla and
Opera.  Netscape is not as stable as I would like (or, at least, wasn't
the last time I looked at it -- version 7 or so).

Office solutions should be replaced with products that are not locked in
to proprietary document formats and/or are more feature-rich than MS
Office.  I recommend OpenOffice.org for most users, WordPerfect for
people who honestly feel like they have to spend money.

So with a Mozilla/OO.o suite of products installed instead of MS
defaults, an acceptable home computer based on Windows can be built.
For my purposes -- web development, primarily, but also writing and some
basic graphics work -- I find that Linux fits my needs much better than
Windows.  And Evolution is perhaps the most feature-rich and powerful
e-mail/calendar product I've used on any platform.

Having said all that, I should confess that I *do* have a WIndows
computer running; only because I once paid good money for a good set of
graphics software packages (PhotoShop, Illustrator, etc.), and I find
they're easier to use than some of the open source alternatives.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford