Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:05:47PM +0100, T. Ribbrock wrote:

> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39117575,00.htm
>
> "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"
> <<Quote elided>>

Oh, my.  I won't comment on the underlying tech issues--that's already
being done.  All I can say is, after reading the article--what an
incredibly careless and thoughtless message.  It would have been dangerous
even if carefully hedged and guarded--as this was not.  This can cause
tremendous damage, and Microsoft will NOT let it go without milking it
for every bit it's worth.  He may have just conceded the home desktop
to Microsoft forever.

While RedHat may justifiably have felt it had to "change things" to
improve its profitability, the confusion and ill-will it allowed to
surround its product line changes, coupled with what really appears to
be a case of PHB-ism in this statement, is perplexing in a company that
I'd grown to want to like and even trust...
--
	Dave Ihnat
	ignatz@xxxxxxxxxx