Re: accented Spanish characters in Linux

Didier,

I'm using the following options in /etc/X11/XF86Config on my US keyboard system:

        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "en_US"
        Option      "XkbOptions" "compose:menu"

Everythings else is standard issue, except that I have manually fixed the abominable Redhat Delete and Backspace key setup, restoring truth in advertising. I.e., Delete produces DEL and Backspace produces BS. How bizarre!

These are on my UK keyboard Latitude:

        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "gb"
        Option      "XkbOptions" "compose:menu"

In X, these work; in the VTs, the Compose function is hosed. Someday I'll stumble across the explanation of why Reshat has chosen to fsck this completely.

Anyway, to get back to X11 -

My configuration came from a reading of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.lst, as recomended in section 2.4 of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/README.config. (The READMEs in that directory are *extremely* useful.) It tells me that

! layout
  us            U.S. English
  en_US         U.S. English w/ ISO9995-3
  us_intl       U.S. English w/ deadkeys

In other words, if I want Compose functionality for European languages, use the 'en_US' layout. If I want MS-style US-International keyboard deadkeys, us 'us_intl' as the layout. Preferring Compose to deadkeys, I have not tried the 'us_intl' layout.

The other useful information in xfree86.lst is

! option
  compose:ralt          Right Alt is Compose
  compose:rwin          Right Win-key is Compose
  compose:menu          Menu is Compose

This is where my
         Option      "XkbOptions" "compose:menu"
line came from.

So, for me, 'Menu' followed by 'O' followed by "'" (three separate keystrokes) give me 'Ã', 'Menu' '?' '?' gives me 'Â', and 'Menu' '!' '!' gives me 'Â'.

Xfree86, at least, is able to get the keyboard working, and RH has not managed to completely stuff it up - yet.

Peter

Didier Casse <didierbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:24:00 +0800 (SGT)
To:
redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx

Hi everybody, If you have a US English Keyboard and you want to typeset those accented Spanish Characters on your amsn or Licq, how do you do that?

I tried to follow this example here:
http://www.samiam.org/typing.spanish.characters.html

but it doesn't work! Is there anyone who knows a bulletproof technique
that would allow me to write accented Spanish characters in RH9 Linux?
Thanks... any help would be most appreciated ;-)

-- Peter B. West <http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html>