Re: accented Spanish characters in Linux

At 00:24 11/5/2003, you wrote:

Hi everybody,
            If you have a US English Keyboard and you want to typeset
those accented Spanish Characters on your amsn or Licq, how do you do
that?

The technique that has worked well for me in several recent Red Hat Linux releases is to use a US ENGLISH keyboard (the standard keyboard US users have), and tell Red Hat Linux to use the "us-acentos" keyboard layout. On Red Hat releases that ask, I tell them to "enable dead keys."

The result is that you type the apostrophe and e, and you get a Spanish accented e. You type the backtick and e, and you get the French e with "accent grave". You type the apostrophe and the c, you get the French and Portuguese cedilla. You type the double quote and the o, and you get a German umlaut. You type the ~ character and then an n, you get a Spanish ñ...

This allows me (so far) to produce every accent I have ever needed, in any app I have used, for any language. Given these results, I hate the language-specific keyboards with "AltGr" keys and odd mappings; I always get notebooks and desktops with US English keyboards and use these settings.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx