Re: Lab Setup (was Red Hat Professional Workstation)

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:32:28 -0600, Mike Vanecek wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:41:38 -0500, Doug Potter wrote
>
> > Have your students set up "apt-get".  With this you can get free
> > updates.  They can set up a cron job, to get the updated packages
> > and install.
>
> Then I would just continue to use RH 9 and use apt-get? Can one depend on
> freshrpms to stay current with the necessary RH rpms? Would Fedora Legacy be
> an option?

freshrpms.net or any mirror of updates.redhat.com, provided it
supports APT. If it doesn't, you can still mirror the packages and
create a local repository.

> What would it take to set up my classroom server as a repository for the
> updates that the students need and then let them get them from my server?

Wouldn't take much. A Yum repository is even easier to set up than an
APT repository (well, at least last time I looked at it). All you'd
need is to run "yum-arch ." in an ftp/http directory, which contains
the packages, and that would turn it into a Yum repository.