Re: Apache Virtual Host

At 09:09 10/29/2003, you wrote:
User 'westpress' has it's own directory in the /home directory. (Incidently,
I will be setting up three other websites for employees and want them all to
be managed by the same Apache server.) So I will not be using the RH
configured DocRoot path of '/var/www/html'. Instead, I will be setting up
/home/*/public_html paths for everything

Have you seen these pieces of the /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file? They control the /home/*/public_html directories you want to use, and the whole thing is pretty much pre-cooked. I have a couple of virtual hosts going, and users have their home directory personal sites, and everything took about 2 minutes to get going. (So good news, it can be done and is not hard... just something is wrong on your system at the moment).

#
# UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a user's home
# directory if a ~user request is received.
#
# The path to the end user account 'public_html' directory must be
# accessible to the webserver userid.  This usually means that ~userid
# must have permissions of 711, ~userid/public_html must have permissions
# of 755, and documents contained therein must be world-readable.
# Otherwise, the client will only receive a "403 Forbidden" message.
#
# See also: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#forbidden
#
#<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
#    UserDir public_html
#</IfModule>

#
# Control access to UserDir directories.  The following is an example
# for a site where these directories are restricted to read-only.
#
#<Directory /home/*/public_html>
#    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
#    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
#    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
#        Order allow,deny
#        Allow from all
#    </Limit>
#    <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
#        Order deny,allow
#        Deny from all
#    </LimitExcept>
#</Directory>

As far as virtual hosts, perhaps you could be more specific? I run apache as user/group apache, but my vhost directories are owned by joe, john, and smith, and no one has any problems. Perhaps show us the <Virtualhost> paragraphs you are using, an "ls -al" of the virtualhost home directory... some DETAIL. All you've said is that it's not working due to permissions errors, but no one can double-check your assumptions and conclusions if you don't provide data.

Probably so. However, you really need to provide more stuff.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx