What's happening to RedHat?

Please excuse my ignorance, I am fairly new to this list. I just bought Red
Hat linux 9 Professional at Boarders about a month ago and subscribed to
this list shortly thereafter. I have been using RH7.3, well, since it came
onto the scene before I upgraded to 9.

I was thinking that I should get with the program and get current, not only
that, but I would buy a retail distro too. Prior to purchasing 9, I always
downloaded iso's.

When I first saw some posts talking about some new direction Red Had is
heading in, I didn't pay to much attention to them, as everyone is always
headed in some new direction and those threads eventually die off. Plus, I
had new servers to configure. I'm still configuring servers, but now these
posts keep coming and I sense more frustration in each new one I see.

So what's the deal? From the gist of what I have read, I get the feeling
that Red Hat is going to leave us GPL type of users out to dry while they
concentrate on their enterprise solutions for businesses. Is that it?

Will there no longer be iso downloads of new releases of Red Hat? What is
this Fedora. The site say's it a proving ground where promising new
technology can be tested and evaluated to see if it is worthy of inclusion
into Red Hat. Okay, so what is this? What does this mean for us?

I have been using RH since version 4 (not well mind you, and I still have a
ways to go) but it was this familiarity that influenced me to recommend RH9
to our company. That it is free (compared to M$) and available just about
anywhere. It enjoys wide support, been around much longer, and is way more
stable. So now they are going to change things on us? Where will I get my
new versions of RH? Is Fedora Red Hat? Will I have to ditch all my Red Hat
paraphernalia for a hat of a different order (will it be blue? Or grey?
What?) Can someone bring me up to speed? Or point me somewhere where I can
be brought up to speed. You all have me concerned now.

Craig D.

--

Craig Daters (craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Systems Administrator