From: redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Craig Daters
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 12:24 PM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: What's happening to RedHat?

Please excuse my ignorance, I am fairly new to this list. I just bought
Red Hat linux 9 Professional at Boarders about a month ago and
subscribed to this list shortly thereafter. I have been using RH7.3,
well, since it came onto the scene before I upgraded to 9.

I was thinking that I should get with the program and get current, not
only that, but I would buy a retail distro too. Prior to purchasing 9, I
always downloaded iso's.

When I first saw some posts talking about some new direction Red Had is
heading in, I didn't pay to much attention to them, as everyone is
always headed in some new direction and those threads eventually die
off. Plus, I had new servers to configure. I'm still configuring
servers, but now these posts keep coming and I sense more frustration in
each new one I see.

So what's the deal? From the gist of what I have read, I get the feeling
that Red Hat is going to leave us GPL type of users out to dry while
they concentrate on their enterprise solutions for businesses. Is that
it?

Will there no longer be iso downloads of new releases of Red Hat? What
is this Fedora. The site say's it a proving ground where promising new
technology can be tested and evaluated to see if it is worthy of
inclusion into Red Hat. Okay, so what is this? What does this mean for
us?

I have been using RH since version 4 (not well mind you, and I still
have a ways to go) but it was this familiarity that influenced me to
recommend RH9 to our company. That it is free (compared to M$) and
available just about anywhere. It enjoys wide support, been around much
longer, and is way more stable. So now they are going to change things
on us? Where will I get my new versions of RH? Is Fedora Red Hat? Will I
have to ditch all my Red Hat paraphernalia for a hat of a different
order (will it be blue? Or grey?
What?) Can someone bring me up to speed? Or point me somewhere where I
can be brought up to speed. You all have me concerned now.

Craig D.

--

Craig Daters (craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Systems Administrator