Re: Red Hat Professional Workstation

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 05:44:14PM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> If you can live with a newly-defined product with (possibly) shorter
> support cycles than WS but still with the same software included, and
> definitely cheaper, then RHPW is possibly your best bet. I am not clear on
> whether this is per-machine or not, but I believe it is not.

Yes, this is per machine. The box includes a subscription key that you
need to register on RHN.

> >Who is in charge of this Free Fedora project? Is there any assurance that
> >the kernel or glibc distributed with the Enterprise WS will match the
> >Fedora kernel?  I don't know how I could distribute applications if there
> >weren't some assurance of fundamental interoperability of systems running
> >the 2 things.

This may cause you grief.  If your target audience is the Enterprise
crowd, then you could develop on Red Hat Professional Workstation or any
of the Enterprise products (WS/ES/AS).

It's a safe bet that the Fedora kernel and glibc will always be ahead of
the Enterprise releases.  We won't see a 2.6 kernel in RHEL until RHEL
4 is released 12-18 months from now.  I expect to see it in Fedora by this
spring.

Since Fedora is partially a proving ground for the Enterprise releases,
there will a lot of components in Fedora that are more leading edge.
For example, RHEL 3 comes with OpenOffice 1.0.2.  Fedora will likely
have OO 1.1 in the fall (I haven't checked to see if it's there yet).

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx