Re: Red Hat Professional Workstation

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 06:15, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:02:58PM -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:
> >
> > Ok, allow me to pout for a moment.  $349 a year for RHES?  I hate to say
> > it, but none of them (RHPW included) really sound like much of a bargain
> > for the SOHO customer.
>
> Compared to what?
> NT4 has been EOLed, W2K is going the way of the dodo and
> W2K3 Server is $3999 .

Well, if you want to compare against Microsoft offerings... Windows
Small Business Server for $599.

> In the Linux market, only Suse offers 5 years support and I don't really
> feel that it's a better deal than RH's offerings.

Having never purchased SuSE support, I can't argue there.  When it comes
down to it, I'm really frustrated by the quantity/quality of information
coming out of Red Hat with respect to their products.  It seems they're
being intentionally vague about patches, and worse, you get different
answers from different people.  I know this stuff has been argued on
this list over the last month, but there's been a lot of misinformation
sprinkled in with the facts.  Their RHEL licensing/patching/RHN policies
are lost on me right now.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting