Re: Dedicated Mailserver - Hardware Recommendation

Depends a lot on your email server software.

We run Exim with spamassassin, amivis, clamscan, and courier imapd.  For
webmail squirrelmail is nice, but so is Neomail.

It's a whitebox running a tyan motherboard and dual AMD procs with 512Mb
Ram. We run it with RAID 1 with SCSI drives.  It handles about 2200
email accounts includeing the spam and anti-viral scanning and doesn't
ever top out over .25

We also had a client's exchange server runnning on the same type of
hardware with around 1000 clients, and it kept the box very busy (%50
proc utilization and very little free RAM).

--
Michael Gargiullo <mgargiullo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Warp Drive Networks