Re: how to recover grub

On Sunday 26 October 2003 15:25, Bilal Dar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a machine in which i have two OS's, linux and xp. I need to
> reinstall xp caz its microsft.
>
> If i will reinstall windows i will lose my mbr and wont be getting the dual
> boot option anymore. I want to know how can i get grub back. I did it once
> before but i cant recall how i did it. Kindly let me know how to do it.
>
> Thanks in advance

Hello,

Assuming that you only have one harddrive installed, please do the following:

Boot into the system with the RedHat cd 1 of 3 and at the boot promtp type:

linux rescue

Follow and answer the prompts (skip CD check if asked).  Eventually you will
be asked if it is ok to look for any RH distros on the drive.  Answer yes.

At the command prompt type:

chroot /mnt/sysimage

Once this is done, then type:

grub-install /dev/hda  (Again, assuming you only have one hard drive
installed)

Regards,

Phil Savoie