Cheap mail server cluster

I was wondering if anyone on this list had successfully built and run a
"cluster" of two or more machines that could hand off the responsibility
of being the main mail server (sendmail, and possibly qpopper added in
for certain clients) back and forth as needed.

This does not have to be an automatic switchover, but I am looking for
a "neat" way to do this.  I would think this would involve hostname
aliasing and switching perhaps - maybe even some kind of round robin
DNS setup (???)  although I suppose I have to worry about where the
central mail spool lives too.

Anyone done anything like this, and/or have any thoughts about it they
would be willing to share?

tnx,
Ken

Ken Rossman