Re: Running oracle 8 or oracle 9 on RedHat9.x

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 08:47:19AM -0400, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> What installation "just hangs with a gray window and 100% CPU usage"? PHP
> installation or Oracle client?

Installation of oracle 8.1.7 (which is the only one who got a graphical java
installer)

> You said PHP compilation works, but it does not work. I'm not sure I
> understand you completely. What does not work? Can you write a PHP script
> that connect to your Oracle database and see if it works with simple query?

The compilation works, that is, i can make PHP without any errors
against the oracle database. However PHP does not work correctly. And
no, a simple query does not work since i get any of a few errors, the
one which is "most correct" is probably "ORA-03117: two-task save area
overflow". Sorry for not mentioning that one but i forgot it :/

> Are you using PHP as an apache module? If yes, what version of Apache? Send us
> / cut & paste the apace log files (access_file and error_log) when you tried
> your script from Web app. Check the error_log to see if there is a Seg Fault
> there.

Yes, and this is how my error_log looks:

[client 10.101.17.7] PHP Warning:  Call-time pass-by-reference has been
deprecated - argument passed by value;  If you would like to pass it by
reference, modify the declaration of ocifetchinto().  If you would like
to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set
allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file.  However,
future versions may not support this any longer.  in
/usr/local/webroot/index.php on line 23
[client 10.101.17.7] PHP Warning:  ocilogon(): _oci_open_server: Error
while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12546
   in /usr/local/webroot/index.php on line 10

I can't find an entry with the 03117 error.

> PHP needs an Oracle client to be compile --with-oci8. Are you able to just run
> plain "sqlplus" console and connect to your database?

Yes, oracle 9.2 works like it should, but PHP 4.3.x seems to have no
support for it so i wanted to install the oracle 8.x client aswell but
it's installer hangs.

> I suggest these:
> 1. Make sure your Oracle client works and can connect to your oracle server
> (assuming you're sure the oracle server works). I don't know if you can use
> Oracle8 client for Oracle9 server. But why don't you just use oracle9 client
> as well?

because php doesn't work with the oracle 9 client.

> In any case, make sure you can run and connect and run query with
> "sqlplus" console on the linux machine where PHP is going to be installed.

sqlplus works like it does, so does other oracle tools.

> 2. Compile PHP and make sure the compile really works. There should be
> messages at the end of the compile (or maybe configure, I don't remember
> exactly) to make sure that your Apache is compiled with certain library,
> otherwise you may get seg fault. Please do that.

i know it works and phpinfo() shows oci8 support in the information
table.

> 3. If you've installed PHP with make install, see if it works, check the
> apache error_log and see what's going on.

i can execute phpinfo() in a phpscript so there is nothing wrong with
php, it just can't talk to the oracle 9 client.

> FWIW, I've installed Oracle9 client + server on Redhat 7.3, compile latest
> stable PHP --with-oci8 and use it as apache module for latest apache 1.3.27
> and it works fine.

weird, since i use latest stable php with --with-oci8 against oracle 9.
Do i have to install some special client version of oracle9 aswell?
Shouldn't all those tools be in the oracle 9 enterprise server
installation? i do have sqlplus for example. I do use apache 2.x instead
thought.

> Hope that helps.
> RDB

thanks for all the suggestions.