Re: Running oracle 8 or oracle 9 on RedHat9.x

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 10:28 am, Johan Kruger-Haglert wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 08:47:19AM -0400, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
<snip>
> Yes, oracle 9.2 works like it should, but PHP 4.3.x seems to have no
> support for it so i wanted to install the oracle 8.x client aswell but
> it's installer hangs.
>
> > I suggest these:
> > 1. Make sure your Oracle client works and can connect to your oracle
> > server (assuming you're sure the oracle server works). I don't know if
> > you can use Oracle8 client for Oracle9 server. But why don't you just use
> > oracle9 client as well?
>
> because php doesn't work with the oracle 9 client.

Okay. I don't know why or if oracle 8 client + PHP should work with oracle9i
server. But I know for sure that PHP *does* work with Oracle9 client, since
I'm using it on this machine (I don't have oracle8 anywhere at all).

I am no expert at oracle, in fact, last summer was the first time I installed
Oracle on linux. But what I did, after running oracle installer for the
server (the ./runInstaller program, that have the Java interface), I run the
./runInstaller again and click "Install client" or something like that. I
think the server itself includes sqlplus, but the "Intall client" will
install necessary client libs that PHP can use.

Have you tried that? Is the Oracle server and PHP on the same machine?

If you try that, just configure PHP with --with-oci8 configure options, and it
should fine the client automagically, at least in my case it did. If
configure complains, than we'll look into it (probably at that point PHP
mailing list is more appropriate). You'd probably be better of not to use
Oracle 8 client anyway, to make life simpler :)

BTW, it is also known that Apache 2.x with PHP is still *buggy*, and
experimental. PHP developers themselves says this, IIRC. So if PHP
configure+compile works, but web apps don't work, probably look into using
lastest Apache (I think it's 1.3.27)

Hope that helps.
RDB
<snip>