Re: Running oracle 8 or oracle 9 on RedHat9.x

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 05:53 am, Johan Kruger-Haglert wrote:
> I've been trying to get Linux+apache+php+oracle working here with no
> success, so I've to ask for some help.
>
> Versions:
> RedHat 9.0
> PHP 4.3.4RC1
> Oracle Enterprise Server 9.2.x
> Oracle client 8.1.7
>
> The machine has to run RedHat, and newest version would be good.
> Oracle9.x doesn't seem to be certified for RedHat9 but I've found guides
> on how to get it running and it works. PHP is compiled with --with-oci8
> against the Oracle9.x server, the compilation works but PHP does not.
> I've set env values in httpd.conf together with the mod_env module
> without any success, probably because there are no oracle 9 support.
> I've read that you can use the Oracle 8.x client against a 9.x database
> and compile PHP against that client instead, but the installation just
> hangs with a gray window and 100% CPU usage. I've read that it could
> help to change window manager to fvwm but no success.

Hi

What installation "just hangs with a gray window and 100% CPU usage"? PHP
installation or Oracle client?
You said PHP compilation works, but it does not work. I'm not sure I
understand you completely. What does not work? Can you write a PHP script
that connect to your Oracle database and see if it works with simple query?
Are you using PHP as an apache module? If yes, what version of Apache? Send us
/ cut & paste the apace log files (access_file and error_log) when you tried
your script from Web app. Check the error_log to see if there is a Seg Fault
there.

PHP needs an Oracle client to be compile --with-oci8. Are you able to just run
plain "sqlplus" console and connect to your database?

I suggest these:
1. Make sure your Oracle client works and can connect to your oracle server
(assuming you're sure the oracle server works). I don't know if you can use
Oracle8 client for Oracle9 server. But why don't you just use oracle9 client
as well? In any case, make sure you can run and connect and run query with
"sqlplus" console on the linux machine where PHP is going to be installed.

2. Compile PHP and make sure the compile really works. There should be
messages at the end of the compile (or maybe configure, I don't remember
exactly) to make sure that your Apache is compiled with certain library,
otherwise you may get seg fault. Please do that.

3. If you've installed PHP with make install, see if it works, check the
apache error_log and see what's going on.

FWIW, I've installed Oracle9 client + server on Redhat 7.3, compile latest
stable PHP --with-oci8 and use it as apache module for latest apache 1.3.27
and it works fine.

Hope that helps.
RDB

--