Re: Howto: Quicker web browsing, slower FTP traffic?

At 09:43 10/21/2003, you wrote:
I played around with rsync sometime ago and remember that it has an option for
limiting bandwidth. I don't know if it really works, or how good it works,

It works rather well, however it works differently from what you might expect. Given the way TCP/IP links function, what happens in that rsync sends a bunch of packets, checks how long they took to send/receive and calculates bandwidth use. If the BW use is over the limit, it sends fewer packets the next time so as to provoke a slowdown effect.

This is going to be useless for you when transferring smaller files or filesets. It is, however, a godsend when rsync'ing 300MB for example while trying not to destroy productivity at the office. Note that the setting IS NOT in Kbps (kilobits per second), it is in KILOBYTES per second. So, using "--bwlimit=8" will attempt to limit transfers to no more than 8 KBps which in effect is nearly 70 Kbps. Using "--bwlimit=64" by mistake will result in rsync happily consuming nearly 600 Kbps of BW if it is available.

In my case, this is not what I want. I want rsync to use every bit of bandwidth it can, but I want web browsing to be of higher priority such that my network sends/receives the HTTP stuff FIRST, then leaves any bandwidth left over to the rsync transfer. From what little I've read so far, traffic shaping seems to be the answer... now to learn how to set it up.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx