newbie: redhat 9.0 very slow

hi,

i've recently installed redhat 9.0 on an athalon 650 with 128MB ram.  i've previously run various linux flavors from the commandline, but i'd like to make the switch to X, primarily so that i can toss my windows box out the _window_ once and for all.

the installation went without a hitch:  i just held down 'next' and went with the defaults.  when i finally booted, however, X took forever to load, and once it was up, *everything* ran *very* slowly (10-15 secs to load mozilla).  a quick look at the system monitor shows that my ram is almost gone (111 out of 128) and the cpu is frequently pinned.  this is with *nothing* open other than startup processes.

is something wrong, or do i need a faster system to run X? in it's current state, it's unusable.

thanks,
hawkeye