Re: newbie: redhat 9.0 very slow

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:04:47 -0700, "Hawkeye Parker"
<hawkeye.parker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> i've recently installed redhat 9.0 on an athalon 650 with 128MB ram.
> i've previously run various linux flavors from the commandline, but
> i'd like to make the switch to X, primarily so that i can toss my
> windows box out the _window_ once and for all.

> the installation went without a hitch:  i just held down 'next' and
> went with the defaults.  when i finally booted, however, X took
> forever to load, and once it was up, *everything* ran *very* slowly
> (10-15 secs to load mozilla).  a quick look at the system monitor
> shows that my ram is almost gone (111 out of 128) and the cpu is
> frequently pinned.  this is with *nothing* open other than startup
> processes.

> is something wrong, or do i need a faster system to run X? in it's
> current state, it's unusable.

Things you can do:

1. Check if your system is properly configured, despite instalation
without a hitch it could have misconfigured something. Check if your
disk drives are running in DMA mode (man hdparm). Uncomment these lines
in /etc/sysconfig/harddisks file:

USE_DMA=1
LOOKAHEAD=1
EIDE_32BIT=3

This should speed your disks a little.

2. Disable unwanted system services - if your system is plain
desktop/workstation/network client you should not need most of them.

3. Have you installed accelerated drivers for your graphics card?

4. Try running one of light-weight window managers f.e. FluxBox, FVWM,
IceWM, WindowMaker (my favourite), AfterStep or whatever (there are
plenty of them) - simply KDE or GNOME *are* heavy, a bit bloated
(concerning my own neds) and sluggish.

5. Instead of Mozilla (which is also sluggish) try running
MozillaFirebird (which is slightly faster) or Opera (which is a speed
deamon).

6. You also can just load Mozilla on startup of yours X session and
keep it open in memory to prevent long load times. :-)

7. Get more RAM.

But I think the issue is something wrong with your configuration,
Currently I am typing from Pentium2 266Mhz box with 96 megs RAM, slow
notebook harddisk and it is just fine for me.

--