Re: Howto: Quicker web browsing, slower FTP traffic?

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 11:30 am, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I don't know whether this is the right place to ask, but kindly point me to
> an FM that I can R if it isn't. Cross-posted to redhat-list and
> shrike-list.
>
> My wife is creating lots of Kazaa traffic, and I am using rsync to create a
> full mirror of Red Hat's FTP site, Aurora Linux FTP site, the LDP site, and
> some other stuff. Clearly, when one is moving well over 100GB over a 128
> Kbps link, this is going to take a long time... but that's OK, we're in no
> hurry.

I played around with rsync sometime ago and remember that it has an option for
limiting bandwidth. I don't know if it really works, or how good it works,
etc. I tried it really quick for smaller bandwitdh and did not notice any
difference yet, but I might did something wrong. I had to drop the 'play
around with rsync' since other priorities came up. But you might want to take
a look at it, if you haven't. Of course, the FM is : man rsync

I don't know 'bout Kazzaa though.

I'd like to know if the rsync option works for you, and would appreciate it if
you give us report back on what you do to achive this at some point later,
for the rest of us to learn :)

RDB

<snip>

--