Re: Howto: Quicker web browsing, slower FTP traffic?

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 11:30, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> So really, happiness right now is just priority service for HTTP traffic.
> Go to the head of the line, and all that, since everything else can take an
> extra week to download without causing us any inconvenience.
>
> I have heard some terms thrown around, but have no knowledge yet. Is this
> possible (I assume it is)? Is what I want traffic shaping, or quality of
> service, or TCP flags... what is it? And, of course, is there something
> somewhere that will tell me how to make it work?

You want QoS (Quality-of-Service) with PRIQ.  Check out the Advanced
Routing HOWTO if you're a glutton for punishment, or the OpenBSD/PF/ALTQ
FAQ if you really want it done with as little pain as possible.  ;-)

I use this at home to a) prioritize upstream ACKs to optimize downloads,
b) prioritize outbound DNS requests, and c) prioritize interactive SSH
sessions.  Everything else brings up the rear.  Here's the relevant
section from my pf.conf:

### Queueing ###
altq on $ext_if priq bandwidth 225Kb queue { std_out, ssh_out, dns_out,
tcp_ack_out }
queue std_out           priq(red default)
queue ssh_out           priority 4 priq(red)
queue dns_out           priority 5 priq(red)
queue tcp_ack_out       priority 6 priq(red)
altq on $int_if cbq bandwidth 2Mb queue { std_in, ssh_in, dns_in }
queue std_in            cbq(default)
queue ssh_in            priority 4
queue dns_in            priority 5

Check out the following doc.  Even if you choose to use Linux's QoS
instead, this will explain it much better than anything else I've seen.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/queueing.html

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting