Re: Minimal install RH8?

At 11:07 10/7/2003, you wrote:
OK, I have managed to install only 365 megs directly with RH8 distribution. That is without perl,sendmail, openssl, openssh and some other garbage but with gcc and kernel headers. After I have succesfully copiled and installed latest versions of perl, openssl, php, httpd. I think that the rest what I need it won't be a problem.
BTW I needed just to determine all the packages I need half an hour after selecting Minimal and then manually remove or add additional packages.
So looks like there is option for even less than what they say at RH. Why they don't make this option? It would sure make life easier not only me but also some others.

Minimal for me _always_ includes openssl, openssh, and perl for example since I prefer to manage everything with RPM. It comes down to the fact that Red Hat has to make the installation easy for millions of users and they do their best to make a generally-pleasing approximation of "minimal." Then they leave each user the option to check or uncheck individual packages, for such peopel as you and me who want more control.

I suggest you look at kickstart as a way to automate your installs to put only the packages you want onto a computer.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx