Re: Red Hat Professional Workstation - it lives!

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 04:01:34PM -0400, Edward Croft wrote:
> Still no word on what is included. I assume it is based on RHEL 3. Are
> there any changes? Does it have Mozilla 1.4? Evolution 1.4.5? The
> website is kind of sparse.

The taroon WS beta, on which I'm assuming this new product is based on,
has Mozilla 1.4-3 and evolution 1.4.4-5.

> The price is okay. Will there be an upgrade to the 2.6 kernel when
> released?

I'd guess no.  This product is designed to give people the long-term
stability that an enterprise product doesn't offer.  If you want the
latest and greatest, such as 2.6, you must be willing to sacrifice
stability.  Fedora might be more appropriate for you.

Red Hat, however, has backported a lot of 2.6 features into their 2.4
enterprise kernel.  There's a good chance that what you need is already
there.

I'm going to guess that the only way that Red Hat can offer long-term
support for this product is to keep it more or less in synch with the
Enterprise releases.  If they have to throw in the latest and greatest
features, they'll be back to where they started - out of date products
on retailers shelves that don't make any money and consumers complaining
they don't get the support they need.

> Not much to go on for purchasing decisions.

You've essentially got 3 choices that I see:

1.  Fedora, for the latest and greatest.  New features and community
support.  Free, with free updates.

2.  Red Hat Professional Workstation.  Long-term stability, formal
bug/security fix support, affordable for the SOHO market ($100 plus RHN
after the first year).

3.  Enterprise Linux.  More server features, more support, more money.

My home server will be running RHPW.  My office systems will be running
RHEL.  I'll let you guys debug with Fedora.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx