Re: Red Hat Professional Workstation - it lives!

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 15:55, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 03:47:42PM -0400, David Hart wrote:
> > > http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=20359120&loc=105&queryType=soft
> > >
> > I don't mind paying for software but I'm a tad confused. Other than
> > Up2Date, does this offer anything other than the convenience of not
> > having to download and burn? It's cheap enough. In fact, as I recall,
> > this is less expensive than the RH9 box.
>
> I expect that there might a license key in the box to authenticate you
> against RHN.  In other words, you probably can't install the same copy
> on 10 workstations and keep them up to date.  I'm guessing on that one
> though based on the fact that RHEL had a license key in the box.
>
> The bigger difference is that this is based on RHEL and therefore will
> have the longer life cycle that many of us have asked for.  You won't
> see a new RHPW release every 6 months.
>
> --
Still no word on what is included. I assume it is based on RHEL 3. Are
there any changes? Does it have Mozilla 1.4? Evolution 1.4.5? The
website is kind of sparse.
The price is okay. Will there be an upgrade to the 2.6 kernel when
released? Not much to go on for purchasing decisions.