Re: batches and serial numbers

On 04/12/2022 02:47, David T-G wrote:
% like 'em, but they're not good in raid. And the BarraCudas even less so!
% I've got a nasty feeling your X300s are the same!

They have been good to me so far.  I was originally going to get N300s,
but I couldn't at the time, and the X300s read as the same for everything
I could find.  Does your N300 have ERC with a short timeout enabled by
default?

Well, Phil Turmell (one of the best recovery guys here) has N300s as his "go to" drives. I trust his judgement :-)

When I did my search on X300s, they come over as being "fast high-performance desktop drives". And manufacturers have pretty much deleted ERC from desktop drives!

Given that these are CMR, though, I guess Toshiba thought "high performance, we need ERC to prevent disk hangs".

Whereas Barracudas were good desktop workhorse drives, and the BarraCudas are aimed at the same market. The BarraCudas are SMR, and presumably come with a big enough cache to guarantee decent desktop performance, but they aren't aimed at the performance market.

Good to know the X300s aren't going to drop people in it ...

Cheers,
Wol