md vs LVM and VMs and ... (was "Re: md RAID0 can be grown (was ...")

Jani, et al --

...and then Jani Partanen said...
% Hi David,
%
% Nice to see that there is others who like to take things extreme and live on
% razor edge. ;)

Heh.  And here I didn't know I was doing any such thing ...  My whole
goal was to minimize rebuild time for anything less than a full disk and
to stage rebuilds for a full-disk failure.  If these were all 100M or 1T
disks then we wouldn't be worrying about rebuild time :-/

%
% I had different side disks, so I made raid5 so that I first joined example
% 1TB and 2TB together with md linear so I could add that as member to other
% 3TB raid5 pool.

The good news here is that I don't mix disk sizes; all of these are not
only the same size but, for the foreseeable future, the exact same model.

%
% Anyway, go LVM if you are planning to slice and dice disks like before. With
% LVM later on if you add space, it will be much more simple task and LVM
% automaticly works like linear but offers much other benefits.

I'll definitely read up on it and see where I might play with learning.

% LVM is very much worth to learn. Start up virtual machine and assign
% multiple small vdisks to it and you have enviroment where it's safe to play
% around with md and lvm.
[snip]

Funny you should mention that ...  Getting into VMs has been on my
list for quite a while *sigh* :-)/2  I haven't even had the time and
opportunity to go and read a primer to boot a "Hello, world" VM.

Thanks again & HANN

:-D
--
David T-G