Re: md vs LVM and VMs and ... (was "Re: md RAID0 can be grown (was ...")

On 03/12/2022 05:41, David T-G wrote:
% I had different side disks, so I made raid5 so that I first joined example
% 1TB and 2TB together with md linear so I could add that as member to other
% 3TB raid5 pool.

The good news here is that I don't mix disk sizes; all of these are not
only the same size but, for the foreseeable future, the exact same model.

From the exact same batch? That's BAD news actually.

Now that disk sizes have been standardised (and the number of actual factories/manufacturers seriously reduced), it should be that a 1TB drive is a 1TB drive is a 1TB drive. Decimal, that is, not binary. So there *shouldn't* be any problems swapping one random drive out for another.

But if all your drives are the same make, model(, and batch), there is a not insignificant risk they will all share the same defects, and fail at the same time. It's accepted the risk is small, but it's there.

It's why my raid is composed of a Seagate Barracuda 3TB (slap wrist, don't use Barracudas!), 2 x 4TB Seagate Ironwolves, and 1 Toshiba 8TB N300.

Cheers,
Wol