Re: how do i fix these RAID5 arrays?

 If you had 5 raw disks raid0 is faster, but with the separate
partition setup linear will be faster because linear does not have a
seek from one partition to another but instead a linear write.  Note
that on reads raid5 performs similar to a raid0 stripe of 1 less disk,
writes on raid5

Based on those messages The re-add would be expected to work fine.  it
appears that the machine was shutdown wrong and/or crashed and kicked
the devices out because the data was a few events behind on that
device.     I have seen this happen from time to time.  In general the
re-add will do the right thing or will get an error.      When
something goes wrong you always need to check messages and see what
the underlying issue is/was.

Find any lvm instruction and treat the N mdraids as "disks" but and do
not do stripe (the simple default will do what you want)  and the
default method lvm uses will lay out the new block devices as one big
device basically using all of the first raid and then the next one and
so on.   or you can simply recreate the big device and specific an
mdadm type of "linear" rather than raid0.