Re: Upgrading motherboard + CPU

Pascal Hambourg <pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Le 25/06/2022 à 19:10, Wols Lists wrote :
>> On 25/06/2022 14:35, Stephan wrote:
>>>
>>> Does mdraid with metadata 1 work on the root filesystem w/o initramfs?
>
> No. Why would one not use an initramfs ?

An initramfs adds unnecessary intransparency to the system.

>> If you're using v1.0, then you could boot off of one of the mirror
>> members no problem.
>>
>> You would point the kernel boot line at sda1 say (if that's part of
>> your mirror). IFF that is mounted read-only for boot, then that's
>> not a problem.
>
> Mounting read-only does not guarantee that there won't be any
> write. See man mount(8) :
>
> -r, --read-only
>     Mount the filesystem read-only. A synonym is -o ro.
>
> Note that, depending on the filesystem type, state and kernel
> behavior, the system may still write to the device. For example, ext3
> and ext4 will replay the journal if the filesystem is dirty. To
> prevent this kind of write access, you may want to mount an ext3 or
> ext4 filesystem with the ro,noload mount options or set the block
> device itself to read-only mode, see the blockdev(8) command.

Good point.  Thus, there is no alternative to superblock 0.90 for root on
mdraid w/o initramfs.  This is the answer to the question why somebody
(like me) may need to use superblock 0.90.

>> Your fstab would then mount /dev/md0 as root read-write
>
> I don't think so. IME the root device in fstab is ignored, only the
> options are used.

This is some of the intransparency.  Will the / entry in the /etc/fstab
be copied to the initramfs to use it for mounting the real root
filesystem?  You imply that this is the case but the device will be
ignored.  Why?

Gruß,
--
Stephan