Re: a new install - - - putting the system on raid

On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 00:27:45 +0200
Pascal Hambourg <pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Raid is meant to protect your data. The benefit for raiding your swap is
> > much less, and *should* be negligible.
>
> No, this is what backup is meant to. RAID does not protect your data
> against accidental or malicious deletion or corruption. RAID is meant to
> provide availabity. The benefit of having everything including swap on
> RAID is that the system as a whole will continue to operate normally
> when a drive fails.

I think the key decider in whether or not a RAIDed swap should be a must-have,
is whether the system has hot-swap bays for drives.

Also, it seemed like the discussion began in the context of setting up a home
machine, or something otherwise not as mission-critical. And in those cases,
almost nobody will have hot-swap.

As such, if you have to bring down the machine to replace a drive anyway, might
as well tolerate the risk of it going down with a bang (due to a part of swap
going away), and enjoy a faster swap on either RAID0 or multiple independent
swap zones for the rest of the time.

--
With respect,
Roman