Re: a new install - - - putting the system on raid

On 23/06/2022 13:11, o1bigtenor wrote:
Greetings

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SATA_RAID_Boot_Recipe

Found the above recipe - - - the preface there is that this is
an existing system.

I am wanting to have all of /efi/boot, /, swap, /tmp, /var, /usr and
/usr/local on one raid-1 array and a second array for /home - - -
on a new install.

/efi/boot (a) must be fat32, and (b) must be a "top level" partition. Okay, that's not totally true, but near enough, and scuppers your plan straight off ...

swap - why mirror it? If you set the fstab priorities to the same value, you get a striped raid-0 for free.

/tmp - is usually tmpfs nowadays, if you need disk backing, just make sure you've got a big-enough swap (tmpfs defaults to half ram, make it bigger and let it swap).

I have tried the following:

1. make large partition on each drive
2. set up raid array (2 separate arrays)
3. unable to place partitions on arrays

Should be able to, but as above for your first array it won't actually work ...

1. set up the same partitions on each set of drives
     (did allocate unused space between each partition)
2. was only allowed one partition from each drive for the array

Neither option seems able to give me what I want.
(More security - - - less likely to lose both drives (2 M2s and 2 SSDs).)

Is my only option to set up the arrays and then use LVM2 on top?
(One more point of failure so would rather not.)

Well. I'm using lvm, it's normal practice, but again won't work for your first array ...

Is there another option somewhat like the method outlined above - - -
recipe is some over 10 years old - - - or is this the only way to do things?

/boot/efi on its own partition

swap - its own partition

/tmp - tmpfs

/ (including /var and /usr) on one array

/home on the other array

Please advise.

I've not done it, it's on my list of things to try, but you could put /boot/efi on v1.0 superblock raid-1 array and format it fat32. Make sure you know what you're doing!

That basically leaves swap and /tmp as your only unprotected partitions, neither of which is expected to survive any computer problems intact anyway (swap depends on your current session, and/tmp is *defined* as volatile and lost on shutdown.

My setup only has the one (raid-5) array for all my "real" partitions, and I've got lvm to give me / and /home (and others). It also gives me some degree of backup capability, as I just take snapshots. Running gentoo, that gives me security when I update the system every weekend :-)

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/System2020

Cheers,
Wol