Re: [sucess] upgrading LSI SAS9211-8i fw IR->IT

On 07/11/17 07:15, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
Dear Eyal,

In message <c12a2a32-2321-1ed7-e1de-ce0e408552e1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

(I had many disk failures/replacements in the 4 years life of this array).

Reading this makes me wonder if you checked your environment for
other influences.  there must be some reason for an exceptional high
number of failures.

I remeber we also had a nighmare of disk errors in the rack in the
2nd floor of our building - which disappeared after moving the rack
into the basement.  I can't prove it, but I blame it on vibrations.
We have a heavy traffic train line less than 50 meters away, and
disks (classic, magnetic ones) definitely do not like vibrations -
see [1].  Maybe you have other influences you did not check for yet?

Interesting Wolfgang,

- This array is at  home, a relatively quiet place.
- I monitor the disks temperatures and it is OK.
- The machine runs off a UPS which can be a source of bad power
  (if the PS does not filter it out).
- The HBA may be somehow bothering the disks?

The disks are under warranty until late next year so there is
time to see if the disks do better with the LSI.

BTW, two of the RMAs were for disks that arrived DOA (as RMAs).
I  do not have high regard for the WD blacks. The failures were
spread across the last 4 years (so not infant mortality).

If nothing else, this experience made me comfortable with software
raid, and encouraged me to stick to my backup schedule.

cheers

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk