Re: [sucess] upgrading LSI SAS9211-8i fw IR->IT

On 02/11/17 18:51, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

What I noted so far:
- the heat sink feels very hot even after short usage.

Yeah, they do get warm. Best to make sure you have a bit of airflow over them. It doesn't take much air movement to keep temps in check.

- the disks were now in a different order, pretty much reverse order.
  I am not sure the order will remain fixed (by port number?) or variable (as the disks spin up).

The driver scans them in port/slot order, and apparently in order of increasing pci address in the case of multiple cards. In my case where I have staggered spinup enabled it spins them up in groups and then waits for them in order, so things don't tend to move around unless you shift hardware about or a drive fails.

Make sure you do a periodic lsdrv just for records sake, but as yet I've not needed it. I keep a spreadsheet which lists which drive S/N is in which physical slot so when something happens I can just look up which drive needs to be popped without risk of pulling the wrong disk.

I swapped out a set of highpoint controllers for these LSI units back in 2011 and it was the best thing I ever did for storage speed and reliability.