Re: [sucess] upgrading LSI SAS9211-8i fw IR->IT

On 26/10/17 14:31, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
On 24/10/17 22:47, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

[trimmed the story of reflashing the LSI to the latest IT fw]

As a final test I plan to boot the actual server with this card and 3 sacrificial
disks (now all zeroed) attached, to confirm that nothing is written to the disks.

For the record, in closing this thread:
- I did the above test and confirmed that the disks are not written to by the driver.
- I replaced the HighPoint HBA with the LSI and simply moved the SFF-8087 across.
  The array came up without issue.
- I ran a full raid 'check' - zero mismatches.
  This was a good surprise because I had three cases of full array failures with the HighPoint and
  expected some corruption.

What I noted so far:
- the heat sink feels very hot even after short usage.
- the disks were now in a different order, pretty much reverse order.
  I am not sure the order will remain fixed (by port number?) or variable (as the disks spin up).

I thank all who responded, I found it very helpful.

cheers
	Eyal

As an aside, I now do not see the text corruption I mentioned earlier, so it was
probably the BIOS causing it and not FreeDOS.

cheers

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)