Re: Recover array after I panicked

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 12:40:37PM +0200, Patrik Dahlström wrote:
>> I was thinking if it was in fact a 5 disk raid + garbage from 1 disk,
>> then the checksum would be correct if the garbage disk was filtered
>> out. Does that make sens?
>
> No. With one disk missing there is no parity (no way to verify it).
>
>> You mentioned something about linear device mapping before. What is
>> that? Is it something I could experiment with? How do I do that?
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/device-mapper/linear.txt
>
> Once you have found where data overlaps on both raids, you create
> a linear mapping of start..X of the 6disk raid, followed by X..end
> of the 5disk RAID.
>
> That way you get a device that holds your data intact as a whole,
> whereas the raid sets would give you the first half of data on
> the 6disk raid set (what was already reshaped) and the other half
> on the 5disk raid set (what had yet to be reshaped).
>
> This is only a way to get read access at the data, making the raid
> work as a standalone again (resume reshape with lost raid metadata)
> is another problem, to be tackled after you backed up your data ;)
I'm not sure how I would backup 20 TB of data. I'll backup what I can,
of course. The most essential.

>> Output of examine calls:
>
>> /dev/mapper/sda:
>>     Data Offset : 252928 sectors
>
>> /dev/mapper/sda-2:
>>     Data Offset : 252928 sectors
>
> Wrong.
>
> mdadm --grow changes the offset, so:
Oh, I see. Does it do that every time I grow? In that case the
original 5disk raid won't have 128M offset either.
The full history of this raid:
1. 2x6 TB + md0 (4x2 TB striped) <- data offset at 128M
2. replace md0 with 6 TB, rebuild data. Shouldn't change data offset
since this is basically the same as replacing a faulty disk, right?
3. Grow to 4x6 TB <- data offset changed (unknown).
4. Grow to 5x6 TB <- data offset changed (unknown).
5. Grow to 6x6 TB <- data offset changed. This is when the problem started.

Does the data offset change by a fixed or calculated value?
Can I calculate the data offset by comparing to known data?

I must say that you help has been most valuable. You have my eternal gratitude.

Best regards
// Patrik