Re: Recover array after I panicked

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 01:00:47AM +0200, Patrik Dahlström wrote:
>> 6 disk raid xor check: 84 ^ f6 ^ 87 ^ 96 ^ e1 ^ 82 == 0, OK
>
> This should be the 6 disk raid area.
Agreed

>> 5 disk raid xor check: 46 ^ 73 ^ 6d ^ 06 ^ 5e == 0, OK
>
> This should be the 5 disk raid area.
Agreed

>> 6 disk raid xor check: 46 ^ 73 ^ 6d ^ 06 ^ 5e ^ 00 == 0, OK
>
> Still 5 disks... grow did not progess until here,
> and the 6th disk is likely zero because it's new.
Agreed

>> But immediately before that, I can't get the xor sums to line up:
>> 0xfaa287ffff: b0 ^ 6d ^ 13 ^ 1b ^ b7 != ae (62 actually), NOK
>> This would mean that it's incorrect for both 5 and 6 disk raids.
>
> Not too sure about this point.
>
> If it up and died in mid-grow there might be a chunk that's wrong.
>
> But that's a few kilobytes, not...
>
>> That is a span of ~52 GB where I presumably can't get the checksums
>> right. What does all this mean? What am I missing?
>
> ...well, it would make sense if a disk got kicked / went missing
> and it progressed the reshape for another ~52GB afterwards.
Would that mean that I should be able to get the checksum to match if
I remove one of the values in a mismatching series. I have tried this,
but never got it correct.

> And you're hoping the VALID DATA areas will overlap. They would if it
> progressed far enough with all disks and not too far with one missing.
How do I test this? I haven't really used overlays before.

> Or you just have to identify the questionable drive and kick it out.
I'm still not sure if a drive was actually kicked out of the array. I
don't have any memory of discovering that a drive was suddenly kicked
out. Would a kicked out drive be automatically re-added if it came
back?
Shouldn't I find something about it in my syslog or kernel log?
I checked my command history and I didn't find any --fail commands
(except on /dev/mapper/sdf)
Should I post the command history here? It is quite long and doesn't
contain return codes or command output.