Re: Recover array after I panicked

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 09:34:04AM +0200, Patrik Dahlström wrote:
>> I've let a program compare both raid sets (5 and 6 disk) overnight. So
>> far it has gone from 128 MB to 14 TB without finding common data. Does
>> that tell us anything?
>
> Are both RAID sets created correctly?
>
> On the 6 disk one, `file -s /dev/mdX` should say ext filesystem.
>
> If that's not there it's certainly incorrect. (The reverse isn't true
> though.)
I'm afraid it doesn't say that. I can get the exact command I used
when I get home. I do know that both raids contains only zeros for
many MB before any data appears.

> That's the general outline of the idea.
> The problem in your case is of course, your data is not that easy to
> verify.
My raid contains many large files (8-12 GB each). If I can get
reference data, I should be able to locate where on the disks the file
is split up. Would that help? I imagine file system fragmentation
could become an issue.

> ( You can't even easily verify your disk order, offsets, et cetera.
>   These are things you have to figure out by yourself,
>   not sure how else to help you. Best of luck. )
>From old kernel log, we know that the disk order was /dev/sd[abdcef],
given that the drives were always discovered in that order. Could the
offsets be verified with data from reference files as discussed above?

> Regards
> Andreas Klauer

Best regards
Patrik Dahlström