Re: Recover array after I panicked

> On 24/04/17 03:21, Patrik Dahlström wrote:
>
>> I just thought of something: since /dev/sdf is a completely new disk,
>> shouldn't I be able to locate the starting point by looking at how much
>> of the new disk is filled. It comes filled with zeros from factory,
>> right?
>
> Pretty close. You should also be able to see how the reshape worked
> (front to back, back to front) and you should get a pretty good idea of
> the data-offset by the gap between the superblock and the data.
I've let a program compare both raid sets (5 and 6 disk) overnight. So
far it has gone from 128 MB to 14 TB without finding common data. Does
that tell us anything?
Should I pause the comparison and look at the end of sdf to find the
last written offset? I currently only have 1 shell in Ubuntu
maintenance/rescue mode

> I must say I'm having trouble imagining a more difficult recovery
> scenario, so at least you present an interesting challenge.
I always like a challenge, but this one I believe I could've skipped :)

> There's a lot to be said for the old "Don't panic" mantra, but hindsight
> is always 20/20.
All too true

Best regards
// Patrik