Re: Recover array after I panicked

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 10:44:15AM +0200, Patrik Dahlström wrote:
> Would that mean that I should be able to get the checksum to match if
> I remove one of the values in a mismatching series. I have tried this,
> but never got it correct.

No, there is no parity left with a missing drive in a raid5.

But you might find some duplicate blocks of one drive still in 5disk
layout on the other drives where it would have ended up in 6disk layout.
You won't find all of them since there are parity blocks on both sides.

> Shouldn't I find something about it in my syslog or kernel log?

I suppose so, if you didn't boot a rescue/live system in between
(they assemble raid and grow continues and whatever happens there
is not in your logs).

Mind showing the --examine output of the two raid sets you're working
with, did you check that the offsets are correct for either one?

You found multiple filesystem headers, do you know the UUID it should
have so you're not working with some old remnant?

Not sure what to tell you really. :)
I hope things turn out to be simpler than they appear right now.

Good luck
Andreas Klauer