Re: Questions

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Wols Lists <antlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 16/02/16 11:46, o1bigtenor wrote:
>> A major reason as to why the drives are getting replaced. Back in early 2012
>> when I setup the machine there was no obvious information that the ERC
>> type drives were needed so I just bought vanilla drives.
>
> This is just what I've got a gut feel for, it seems to make sense of
> what I've seen on the list ...
>
> "new" drives of 2TB or more have the crippled drive firmware unless you
> specifically buy raid.
>
> The original release date of 1TB and less drives predates the crippling,
> and the manufacturers haven't bothered to go back and "fix" this.

I'll take your word for that but did buy NAS rated drives (just missed
getting some
enterprise drives which should have been even better!).

> So 1TB drives - even desktop ones - seem usually to be okay. Anything
> over that is suspect.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol
>
> Incidentally, any reason for sticking with the same size drives? I'm
> looking at replacing my Barracudas and might well upgrade from 3TB to
> 4TB, just because the price difference is minimal. That's despite /home
> only being half full even though I have a 24MP camera ...

Sticking with the same size drives for a number of reasons. The price
difference is
minimal but it is there. In 4 years of using I'm now at 300 GB which is not that
large compared to a 2TB array. I also am in the process of setting up
a server which
has 4 - 3TB drives in a raid 10 array for backup level 1.

Thanking you for your time and tips!

Dee