Re: Questions

On 14/02/2016 15:28, o1bigtenor wrote:
Greetings

My raid 10 array was the subject of a number of exchanges on this
board a few months ago.
With the generous assistance of members here things were reestablished
and have been working well. Today I had a VirtualBox VM crater and in
the process cause other system issues. In process to clear the mess a
number of hard stops (shutting the system off using the button on the
case) were used. In rebooting I found that one of the drives in the
array is no longer responding issuing a number of clicks in the boot
up process with nothing else happening. Even though it is a RAID 10
array the array is no longer mounted nor available. I have removed the
faulty drive already. I have an appropriately sized drive available
that I could place into the machine.

1. should I reformat the drive (to be placed into the machine)?
2. what sequence of commands should I be using for this new drive to
be included into the array?
3. what sequence of commands should I use to remount the array?

First thing I would suggest is to let everyone know the status of the current array, and how to get it working.

Can you send the output of cat /proc/mdstat and mdadm --misc --detail /dev/md?

Assuming the existing array is in a "normal" status, albeit degraded, then it should be pretty simple to just partition the new drive to match the other members, and then simply add the new partition to the array (mdadm --manage /dev/md? --add /dev/sdxy)

Try to take things slowly, as doing the wrong thing might make a simple recovery into a very sad event (loss of all the data).

Regards,
Adam

Regards,
Adam