Re: Questions

On 14 February 2016 10:53:48 pm AEDT, o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 12:34 AM, Adam Goryachev
><mailinglists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> On 14/02/2016 15:28, o1bigtenor wrote:
>>>
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>> My raid 10 array was the subject of a number of exchanges on this
>>> board a few months ago.
>>> With the generous assistance of members here things were
>reestablished
>>> and have been working well. Today I had a VirtualBox VM crater and
>in
>>> the process cause other system issues. In process to clear the mess
>>> number of hard stops (shutting the system off using the button on
>the
>>> case) were used. In rebooting I found that one of the drives in the
>>> array is no longer responding issuing a number of clicks in the boot
>>> up process with nothing else happening. Even though it is a RAID 10
>>> array the array is no longer mounted nor available. I have removed
>the
>>> faulty drive already. I have an appropriately sized drive available
>>> that I could place into the machine.
>>>
>>> 1. should I reformat the drive (to be placed into the machine)?
>>> 2. what sequence of commands should I be using for this new drive to
>>> be included into the array?
>>> 3. what sequence of commands should I use to remount the array?
>>

>> First thing I would suggest is to let everyone know the status of the
>> current array, and how to get it working.
>>
>> Can you send the output of cat /proc/mdstat and mdadm --misc --detail
>> /dev/md?
>
># cat /proc/mdstat
>Personalities : [raid10]
>md0 : active (auto-read-only) raid10 sde1[5] sdc1[4] sdb1[3]
>     1953518592 blocks super 1.2 512K chunks 2 near-copies [4/3] [U_UU]
>
>unused devices: <none>
>
># mdadm --misc --detail /dev/md
>mdadm: /dev/md does not appear to be an md device
>
># mdadm --misc --detail /dev/md/0
>/dev/md/0:
>        Version : 1.2
>  Creation Time : Mon Mar  5 08:26:28 2012
>     Raid Level : raid10
>     Array Size : 1953518592 (1863.02 GiB 2000.40 GB)
>  Used Dev Size : 976759296 (931.51 GiB 1000.20 GB)
>   Raid Devices : 4
>  Total Devices : 3
>    Persistence : Superblock is persistent
>
>    Update Time : Sat Feb 13 17:21:51 2016
>          State : clean, degraded
> Active Devices : 3
>Working Devices : 3
> Failed Devices : 0
>  Spare Devices : 0
>
>         Layout : near=2
>     Chunk Size : 512K
>
>           Name : debianbase:0  (local to host debianbase)
>           UUID : 79baaa2f:0aa2b9fa:18e2ea6b:6e2846b3
>         Events : 60241
>
>    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
>       5       8       65        0      active sync set-A   /dev/sde1
>       2       0        0        2      removed
>       4       8       33        2      active sync set-A   /dev/sdc1
>       3       8       17        3      active sync set-B   /dev/sdb1

> [...]

Not needed, the resync will overwrite the content. You just need to partition it the same as the other drive members.

Then you can simply add it to the array and it will sync.

Also, you should have access to your stay content already if you just mount it (assuming it contains a file system )

Let us know if you need any more help.

Regards
Adam