Re: Questions

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 8:00 AM, Adam Goryachev
<mailinglists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>snip
>>
>> A major reason as to why the drives are getting replaced. Back in early
>> 2012
>> when I setup the machine there was no obvious information that the ERC
>> type drives were needed so I just bought vanilla drives.
>>>
>>> Essentially, your current disks might be fine, but if you don't have the
>>> right settings, they could be "failing" regularly putting your data at
>>> risk.
>>> You should fix any issue here before you attempt to replace your drives.
>>
>> I now have 2 long term drives which are likely still good and 2 cheap
>> drives that
>> are quite new but which I don't trust for long term reliability,
>> therefore the push
>> to change them all.
>

> Note, most drives either still support it, or else can be worked around to
> avoid the timeout mismatch. You should do this before continue to replace
> the drives, as you want to avoid this happening in the middle of replacing
> drives.
snip

>>> I would suggest replacing one at a time.
>>
>> There is no way to do them one after another copying over all four and
>> then
>> only needing to shut the box down once or failing that doing the process 2
>> times
>> necessitating only 2 shutdowns instead of 4 is there? The external USB box
>> does have room for 2 drives at once.
>

> Put two blank drives into the USB, replace first one, replace second one
> (would suggest second drive as non-matching pair). Shutdown, move two new
> drives internal, place two new drives into drive bay, and repeat for the
> last two drives.

How do I determine exactly which are the matching pairs?

Raid 10 means striped and mirrored so I have 2 pairs (AIUI).
I'm thinking its sde and sdf as a pair and then sdb and sdc as the other so if
that's true then I would start with say sde and sdc for the first set
and then do
sdf and sdb for the second.

> I would suggest adding a bitmap for at least the time you are doing the
> replacements, then if you have a failure on the USB enclosure during the 2nd
> or 4th drive, at least the 1st or 3rd will re-sync quickly.

Sorry - - - a bitmap - - - not sure what you mean?

Thanking you for your assistance.

Dee